On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 04:10:16PM -0800, Kevin J. McCarthy wrote:
> Alan McConnell wrote:
> > Re "Race Conditions".  Unless I am mistaken, mutt is
> > written as a single, un-threaded process; I believe that
> > 'me' is (justly) proud of this achievement.  So I do
> > not understand how "two processes" can be involved here.
>
> I see you posted an email about this back on December 19th too.
        Indeed I did.  And have, in the meantime, spent quite a
        bit of time experimenting, and reading the documentation.

> Although I thought Patrick Shanahan explained it clearly then, and just
        Mr Shanahan pointed me at a work-around he had devised.

> now Mark H. Wood did again, I'll take a shot and try to (even) more
> verbosely explain what is going on and why it's causing you a problem.
        I thank you for your explanation and your charts.

> There is no completely clean way to fix this, because there is no way to
> know how long the main firefox will need %s to be around.  If you only
> intend to quickly view the file and then close the tab, the best way is
> to have mutt sleep after invoking "firefox -new-tab".  Try modifying
> your .mailcap invocation to:
>     text/html; firefox -new-tab '%s' & sleep 10; test=........
>                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^
>                                     add this

        And I'm especially grateful for this tip.  I have changed my
        .mailcap to the following:
text/html; iceweasel -new-tab '%s' & sleep 2; test=test -n "$DISPLAY";\
nametemplate=%s.html
# text/html; sensible-browser %s & sleep 2; nametemplate=%s.html
# test=test -n "$DISPLAY";
        and this seems to work.

        So I thank all responders for their responses.

Again, best wishes to all,

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
    Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.