On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 09:38:14AM -0500, Mark H. Wood wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 04:43:34PM -0500, Alan McConnell wrote:
> The point is to make Mutt wait to remove the file until some time after
> your browser is actually displaying it.  Any time after that, Mutt can be
> allowed to continue.
>
> Mutt, which was waiting on the second instance, thinks you're done with
> the temp file and cleans up.  The first Iceweasel instance, which is the
> one you want to read with, may not even have been scheduled yet, and if
> not then it wouldn't yet have the file open.  When the "main" Iceweasel
> instance tries to obey the message, the file is already gone.

Well, did ever anyone think of using the inotify mechanism (in the linux
kernel) which tells you when specific events have occurred (e.g. file has
been read completely).

If I have time soon I'll try to implement it (inotify's events access and
close_nowrite sound promising).

Regards, Andre

--
Andre Klärner