That's still a big problem, I have to use a screen reader over here and I use among others archlinux. Probably Tim Berners-Lee probably didn't invent the web mail format and by now I'm pretty sure he's thoroughly sick of it not to mention what all else was done with his creation.

On Thu, 8 Mar 2018, Scott Kostyshak wrote:

Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 13:02:03
From: Scott Kostyshak <skostys...@ufl.edu>
To: mutt-users@mutt.org
Subject: Re: html signature?

On 2018-03-08 08:47, Yubin Ruan wrote:
On Thu, Mar 08, 2018 at 12:40:26AM -0500, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
I find that one reason that they seem particularly responsive to is
to point out that people with disabilities may have trouble with
HTML-only emails.
Why?

One example: Many visually impaired computer users read mails using either a
screen reader[1] or a braille display[2]. Both devices are known to work
best with plain text.

That is what I had in mind also. This is at least what a visually
impaired student told me. That was 5 years ago though, perhaps
technology has improved to the point where it is not a big problem
anymore. The following does not give a detailed explanation, but it does
recommend at least a plain-text email version:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__litmus.com_blog_accessibility-2Demail-2Ddesign-2Dinfograph&d=DwIBAg&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=zUqJVM3RY5svAe6ctaxqyrj3k9OQkcL6UzDF3Kn6e0s&m=4rdeU5UU5g6LLY2dMJjydI1hJxXXucFFbKggnvD3cjM&s=E1g96DB0nLqgGwdHwF5VTs7hMPt47bng45d0wpY2x2E&e=

I personally find images and color distracting when trying to focus
completely on the content of an email. To be fair, getting rid of images
and color makes my focus level go from e.g. 95% to 98%, but I do find it
significant. I can imagine (but speak on no authority) that people who
have disabilities related to attention and focus would have similar
difficulty with distracting and unnecessary elements.

Scott