Nick

I'm loving the simplicity of this. (Aside: Why didn't I think of that?!)

So to get clear, in order to get your list of Active stuff, I guess you
create a tab ('work area') that contains the Advanced filter with something
like:
"Context does not contain .Someday", yes?

OK so, if I'm showing the hierarchy and I've got a complex project (i.e.
parent) that I have flagged with the context of ".Someday", but which still
has even one task that is not flagged with ".Someday" then the project it
will still appear on that view.  I guess I can live with that. (I might use
some clever formatting rules to show items that are .Someday formatted)

And then in order to create your list of Someday/maybe stuff, I guess you
have another tab ('work area') with an Advanced filter with:
"Context DOES contain .Someday", yes?

One slight problem is that now when you are working in the "Someday" (only)
view and you want to add something to another project (or task) the risk is
that it will disappear from view immediately after you enter the name. One
way around this seems to be set up a special hotkey for the purpose (e.g.
say Alt/Shift/S) and to use it while you are still editing the name of the
item.
OR I guess you could add it as a child (using Alt/Insert), which will
therefore inherit the .Someday tag from the current parent and then just
out-dent it using Shift/Alt/Left-Arrow.

This sounds extremely promising - thanks!

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/13aa57a3-14c4-4e92-9f37-75361cb4d6c7%40googlegroups.com.