Hi Laurence,
just wanted to double-check, did you try Andrei's offered solution - to
call Google Assistant via widget?
I had exactly the same problem and none of other solutions worked.
However it seemed that Google widget called a different version of Google
Assistant, which had the possibility to change default apps.
Cheers.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/ede43aa3-8e7f-4b40-a80b-084bf1af089f%40googlegroups.com.