& is a hashtag for me, for searching or filtering my outline for roles.
(Why use & as a tag - just because "& here's another thing I do").

Similarly, I use "?" to tag a name of someone when they are the prime
contact or given responsibility for a task. So, typing &SCADA in the search
box takes me to the branch where my role is as a SCADA engineer. If I just
type SCADA in the search box, then I get a list of all the tasks which have
something about SCADA in their notes. If I type "Jim" in the search box,
I'd get everything in which someone called Jim is mentioned in the notes,
whereas "?Jim" returns a much shorter list of all the tasks for which I've
asked Jim to give some help or I'm "@waiting" for some information from him.

One other tag I'm currently using: "+" in front of a word means it's a
project name.