On Sunday, January 24, 2021 at 4:16:20 PM UTC-8 Stéph wrote:

> I'm glad you like the icons. I used to do a lot of trips, for a while, and
> spent a bit of the time creating my own, custom icons. I used simple shapes
> with specific colours for particular groups of icons, so that they would be
> quick to recognise at a glance. Back when you could get a Google Groups
> conversation thread pinned to the top of a forum, I started this thread
> to share icons and useful formatting and filtering examples
> <https://groups.google.com/g/mylifeorganized/c/hG6vICmLW1k/m/fT_8dsgFCAAJ>
> .
>
> The key with getting your icons to work, is to assign them to automatic
> formatting rules sorted into the right order (so the ones you want to see
> don't get overwritten by later rules). Here are screenshots of what I have
> at the start and the end of my automatic formatting rules list:

It looks like it's the other way around for me - the earlier rules take
priority over any later ones.

Thanks for the icons! I love them! Now I have icons for writing, phone,
house, computer, and errands.

You can have more than positions 0-3 by the way! I'm using up to 4:

position 0 - tells me if it's a folder or an active action
position 1 - notes
position 2 - location, tells me if it's errands (little car icon),
computer, or home
position 3 - tools, tells me if I need a phone or to do some writing (pen
and paper icon)
position 4 - reminder

On 2/15/2021 7:28 AM, Stéph wrote:
> & is a hashtag for me, for searching or filtering my outline for roles.
> (Why use & as a tag - just because "& here's another thing I do").

This cracked me up - thanks!

I use @ for location (errands, computer, home),
! for status (waiting for, next action, daily task),
and no symbol for the role, just a short name for it.

That keeps them ordered in the way I like - status, location, role.