I was finally able to load the time zone tables using the following:
        sh-3.2#
/usr/local/mysql-advanced-5.6.10-osx10.7-x86/bin/mysql_tzinfo_to_sql
/usr/share/zoneinfo | /usr/local/mysql-advanced-5.6.10-osx10.7-x86/bin/mysql -u
root mysql

My version of Mac OSX 10.8.3 did not have root user installed but I googled for
the instructions and installed it.

I then located the paths for mysql_tzinfo_to sql and also mysql.

I ran queries and the time zones tables are now populated.

Please forgive me for all the confusion and wasted time I may have caused
anyone.  Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Joe