Hi Elizabeth,

The first question I would ask why don't you want Oracle? If you can't come up with a
good business reason why your company shouldn't go with Oracle I would say you have
already lost the battle. The second question is who is making the purchasing decision?
If it's middle management or the bean counters then you have pretty well lost again
because nobody ever lost their job for buying Oracle.

Oracle has a number of advantages that make it a very safe purchasing decision; it's a
market leader, it's widely supported, it's robust, it scales well, and it comes with a
full suite of development and deployment tools. The only weakness Oracle has is its
price tag. And the price goes beyond the cost of the database. Oracle's development
tools are pricey, a large hardware platform is needed to support not only the
production box but also developers workstations and, if you are doing a client/server
deployment, the end users machines. Also the price of a good Oracle DBA and
development team is fairly steep.

MySQL on the other hand is fairly inexpensive over all. There is no special training
required in order to set up an instance and start playing. It can be easily integrated
with a number of scripting languages giving your development team a boost in
performance. It also has a very small footprint. Our production box is a PIII 800 with
256MB of RAM running Linux as the OS. We have over 100 users and over 100 tables and
we have not yet had any performance issues. MySQL also has a very responsive support
staff and a mailing list chock full of talented people who like answering questions ;)

MySQL also has what some people consider fairly serious drawbacks. MySQL does not
support triggers or foreign key constraints (yet) so data integrity is always at risk.
There is no equivalent of PL/SQL in MySQL, all database procedures etc. must be
written in a 3GL, such as C, and then linked in.

If you feel your shop should become a MySQL shop I suggest you look at the business
reasons why and use those reasons to argue your case for you. Technical coolness or
altruistic support of the open source movement doesn't cut it with most managers.
Productivity, cost, and support usually does.

John Griffin