speed is of the utmost importance ,
I can't have a client run a report and wait 2 days for it to finish.

-----Original Message-----
From: Aron Pilhofer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2002 9:46 AM
To: Mary Stickney; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Francisco; Elizabeth Bogner;
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: MySQL vs. Oracle (not speed)

Well, I meant this to be off-list (thus the next message) because I don't
want to start a round of M$ bashing, blah, blah...

But since I blew it already, I don't mean to sound harsh or defensive,
because, frankly, I don't have a vested interest one way or the other which
db you use. And I'm not doubting your results.

I'm simply saying you should probably look at your settings/configuration
because MySQL should not be lagging that far behind SQL Server. That is
unless there is something particularly unique about your setup or tables or
data that is causing queries to run so slowly on MySQL.

If speed is important to you (and it sounds like it is) then it might be
worth tweaking some to figure out what is causing MySQL to lag so badly.

Ok, 'nuff said.

aron