We've been using Oracle, Sybase, MS SQL, DB2 and even other databases in
our company, and we've decided to go with - mainly - MySQL. We didn't
really have a hard time convincing the management about this decision,
since we produced a whole "Open Source"-strategy at the same time,
giving some design principles that gives us as much flexibility and
scalability as possible.

One of these, regarding databases, is that we want to minimize the use
of stored procedures. Stored procedures are of course nice in many cases
- they save network traffic, speed up queries, eases the application
programmers tasks and so on; but they are certainly not flexible in that
you can easily change your database vendor without having to rewrite
your code. Therefore, since flexibility means most to us, we've chosen
to move as much of the logic as possible up to the layers above the
database (for example, in ejbs). Oracle is of course brilliant for
banking, finance, government databases etc. - but probably waste of
money for web-portals, e-commerce and so on.

The result is that it's easy to swap any components in the platform that
we're not satisfied with, for example the database. Also, we see that
MySQL delivers most of the functionality we want, including hot-backups
(using InnoDB), fulltext searches and foreign keys. Armed with systems
like linux, jBoss, Resin, ant, junit, xdoclet, middlegen, apache, perl
and many more, I believe our platform is about as good as it can be.

We are of course lucky NOT to have top-managers who think they know more
about technology than the tech-department ;-)

Regards, Kent Vilhelmsen
Head of Systems Architecture
Eniro/Scandinavia Online

On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 15:07, Mary Stickney wrote:

> It doesn't suport alot of differnt things....
> it dosent have store procedures , dosent have a complete SQL command set...
>
> I am using it becasue I am being forced to...

/  \/    *  Standardise your content to fit ALL browsers!  *