> The premise above therefore devolves to: Since most of the traffic is to
> those networks, then most of the bits flow over contracted peerings.
>
> Perhaps “most” can be argued, but obviously a significant portion of all
> peering bits flow over contracted sessions. Hopefully we can all agree on
> that.

There’s greater complexity here, however…

Many of the bits that flow flow over several networks between their source and
destination. Likely the vast majority of bits traverse at least 3 autonomous
systems in the process.

So when you want to count traffic that went over a non-contract peering session
vs. traffic that went over a contract peering session, how do you count traffic
that traverses some of each?

Owen