Dmms tend to use charge balance techniques for measurements and these
can be way off at ac esp at higher frequencies.

A cheap old analogue meter would probably give you a better approx
reading.

Another way I have used is just supply the thing from a bench power
supply and look at the current draw difference between no tubes on and
one or more on, either multiplexed or not, the power supplys (your
clocks supply that is) evens out the pulses into a more constant draw
and provides a good measurement point, you just need to to subtract
the current pulled by all the support electronics.