Hi,

Thank you for your reply David.  My reason for multiplexing was due to not
having enough spare pins on the PIC, however having givin this considerable
thought I have the IO pins that were being used to switch the MSD and LSD
anode transistors and a third IO pin which was available to control the
enable pin for the tayloredge SMPS, so by using these three pins allows me
to to have 0 - 7 on the MSD which is great as I wanted 64 steps to
indicate  the volume control potentiometer position.

Sadly there is a but to this (is there not always) I need to be able to
blank the digits which normally involves using all 4 bits of the 74141.
Now as I do not need 7 - 9 I was thinking I could shift all the digits
along one position, so 0 in the nixie is connected to 1 on the 74141 1 to 2
and so on.  This results in being able to blank the nixie by sending 000 to
ABC and having D permanently tied to ground.  This digit shift being easy
to work around in the firmware.

I can position the SMPS in such a way that it will not interfere with the
audio signal path so I would like to try and stick with it for the nixie HT
supply as the valve HT supply has a delayed start to give chance for the
soft started heaters to warm up. I want the volume indication to come on at
power up with a possible count down on it to show the remaining warm up
time. Additionally to this I am trying to keep the analogue and digital
power rails separate from one another.

This is where my questions begin:  Can I leave the cathodes 7 - 9 floating
or do they need to be tied to something? Will floating digits ghost? I
would also like to keep my enable signal to disable the SMPS when the
amplifier is in standby so can I use the now unused 0 output on the 74141
as a logic signal to drive the enable pin on the SMPS?  The only trouble
with this is when blanking the nixie the SMPS will be disabled unless I use
extra logic to look at the LSD bits?  (I guess it is quite environmentally
friendly to turn the SMPS off when the digits are blank but if I was
worried about this then I guess I would not be building a power hungry
inefficient valve amplifier!)

Regards,
Tim