Hi Yall,

Okay, I scoped the board and I have almost 500us of total dead time between
digits. This was measured on the digital outputs from the CPU. My code is
written in a way that I turn off all of the segment and digit signals one
at a time in a for loop so they are not all triggering at once. They are
turned on in a like manner. I do not know the time between these, but the
app know's nothing about the actual port and bit that is being turned on or
off so I assume the time is in the 1us ball park if not more. I am using a
16MHZ ATMega328.

As for direct drive, I am multiplexing because of a lack of pins and board
space. I wanted a nice small board as well as through hole parts because I
want to sell this as a kit. I just don't have room for a couple of more
DIPS.

I like the idea of the moving the resistors, I will try this. I will also
spread my segment lines out going between the 4 digits up top and the 2
digits below. I am still contemplating the ground plains they are easy to
do. I will have to ask a couple of people at work about the issue of them
possibly increasing the  coupling between the lines.

Biasing the lines is another idea I will try as well.I can do most of these
before the next board spin. Depending on how the other things I try go, I
will then decide on the plains.

-joe