From: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com [mailto:neonixie-l@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Kiran Otter
Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2015 12:56 PM
To: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com
Subject: [neonixie-l] Re: Need help with a tubehobby clock overheating

Something I want to note about how I used a heatsink; I epoxied it to the tops
of the cases of M1 & U1; traditionally you'd bolt it to the back of the
component but at the time I couldn't figure out a better way, and I had
heatsink epoxy, so I just plastered it to the tops of the two components.  It's
been like that ever since I built the clock, and never did it get so hot that
you couldn't touch it.  Warm, yes.

I don't know how it could have become conductive across the cases of M1 & U1..
if it did, that's a neat trick.  But removing it certainly seems to have made
some difference.

Using a laser temperature probe, M1 seems fine.. but U1 definitely seems
cranky.. and it's heating the board up all around that entire end to ~110F.
Again, I never noticed it getting this hot.

To answer Johnk's question; the heatsink and epoxy weren't touching anything
metallic, and I originally added it because I thought M1 & U1 were getting
pretty warm from the start when I built it, and figured it wouldn't hurt to add
it.  But maybe over time.. it started to conduct between them somehow.  I don't
know.

Jon; thanks for that info. I'll try one of the 7805 alternatives you mentioned.

Nick; I'll drag out my scope and see if it even still works, and see if I can't
check the 7805 with it.  I might have a question or two on using the scope. :D

So far, right now with a little fan blowing over the M1/U1 area.. the whole
thing is keeping cool.  Barely running above 90F anywhere I check.  If I turn
off the fan, it shoots up past 120F. I turned the fan back on at that point.

Niek; I re-enabled the leading zero, and still see the same thing.  In fact
when going through the settings, I was able to catch the attached pic of the
right most tube showing what was in the next-to-left tube.  So it seems to go
both ways.

Kiran

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/508e5b80-f513-4cfb-9d71-8a46ab09022e%40googlegroups.com

<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/508e5b80-f513-4cfb-9d71-8a46ab09022e%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>