On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 6:42:09 PM UTC-7, GastonP wrote:

> Sweeeeeeet! Can you share a little more about this? Which FPGA? Why not a
> CPU? Schematics and/or Verilog :D

I use an Altera Cyclone II with 4500 logic elements. You can get assembled
boards on Ebay for about $20US.
Altera's software is free, and very high quality.

I didn't use a CPU because all operations must be serialized or
time-sliced. With an FPGA, it's digital gates so things can be done
concurrently if you wish. Also, I do a lot of chip design work for my day
job, so I live, eat, sleep, stink, think, and drink Verilog. I have
considered putting a Z80 CPU on the FPGA and using software, but I can
easily do it in hardware. Also, verilog is usable for both design and
simulation, so it reduces the number of tools I have to use.

The verilog source code wont be of any use without the schematics and other
documentation. I can provide a pdf copy of the design report on request,
but I dont have time to provide any support. One PCB has been in operation
over 2 years now, and I'm building a second one with green neon bulbs and a
magic-eye tube in the center, but no surrounding digits. Now, if someone
has some spare NIMO tubes I'd be happy to provide you a assembled & working
board in exchange for 20 NIMO tubes (yeah I'm dreaming....)