I'm slowly beginning to understand more, but on reflection I am clearly not
understanding something. The HV5530 specs say output voltage is 0 - 300V.
What sets that voltage? That might also be the wrong question, I am in the
dark about how tying these 'outputs' to the cathodes actually works.

At some point I will buy a couple of different chips to play around with,
which raises a whole other set of questions about how I would breadboard
something with these chips.