My concern with current limiters that rely heavily upon the datasheet specs
(Vgs  for Depletion-mode regulator; Vbe for current-mirror)  is that
variations due to process & temperature will have significant impact on the
actual current. Using a slightly more complex+costly design will mitigate
this; well-worth it in my opinion when you consider the value of the tubes
you are protecting.