Thought I would post a follow-up regarding a RasPi as a nixie controller.

So far, using a RasPi Zero W for controlling my latest nixie clock (8-tube
b7971) has far-exceeded my expectations:

   - No 'helper' FPGA is needed; there is far more than enough horsepower
   in the Pi to handle all of the compute, timekeeping, and serial
   communications
   - Timekeeping is accurate; the Pi periodically syncs to a time-source on
   the internet (no idea where). Perhaps it's from my router, which gets the
   time elsewhere.
   - Display updates are done once per second. I have never observed my
   display 'jump' or 'stall' +/- 1 second based on the random alignment
   between realtime, and when the clock software updates the display. I did
   not add any code to attempt to synchronize to realtime.
   - CPU utilization is averaging 3-4%, even when running a VNC server,
   plus all of the Linux housekeeping tasks. There are periodic spikes of ~40%
   each second when the clock software does it's work. No significant thermal
   generation (less than 10 degrees F as measure with infrared thermometer)
   - Using a cheap passive IR (PIR) sensor has allowed me to shut-down the
   tubes most of the time; the sensor is sensitive enough that I really cant
   sneak-up on my clock without it turning on. Nor is it falsely triggering.
   - GPIO programming with WiringPi is fairly easy; there were some quirks
   that I found and fixed when reading a digital input. Also some minor
   documentation issues about pin-naming.
   - Being able to remotely program without attaching/removing cables,
   power-cycle, etc is very handy. I use 'C' because it's compiled, hence
   faster execution versus python, perl, etc.
   - Only drawback so far is the startup-time (linux boot), which is just
   under a minute. I have not yet added the clock software into the bootup
   process so that it auto-starts on power-up; should be easy to do in crontab
   ? (I've done it before for a remote server; just cant remember where).
   - Without an attached RTC module, timekeeping relies on my internet
   service and WiFi running. I have thought about adding an RTC module as a
   backup, but it's low priority.