The glass needs to have high tension in it to break like that. This is interesting, I've broken few tubes in my life and they all crack like standard glass (big pieces and small amount of small shards). Combining this with fact that the breaking ones had no marking leads me to a crazy idea - maybe these were samples meant to have higher endurance and that's why there was tension introduced into the glass on purpose, just like in car windows? Toughened glass can take harder hits from the outside. It seems they weren't more durable on the long run.
W dniu czwartek, 7 września 2017 21:13:29 UTC+2 użytkownik Clarke Payne napisał: > > Yes one like a car window only with no glue. The other 2 developed > hairline cracks when picked up. Ira will check further when I get back > home. May be knock offs but who would have made them? > > Clarke > > Sent from Verizon Note 2 > > > On Sep 7, 2017 2:52 PM, "Tomasz Kowalczyk" <[email protected] > <javascript:>> wrote: > >> What do you mean by "disintegrated"? Did it break into thousands of >> pieces, like a car window? >> >> W dniu czwartek, 7 września 2017 19:32:45 UTC+2 użytkownik Clarke Payne >> napisał: >>> >>> as far as I can tell temperature changes were not "radical". packed in >>> solid thick plastic case with no stress. tube pins look straight. will >>> check with magnifying glass. ones that broke when I picked them up >>> developed hairline cracks immediately. one just disengrated. when I get >>> home will post pics and on the others will do a comparison of segments. >>> Thank you guys for your input. will do some more investigation. the only >>> other thing that may be remarkable is the broken ones have no markings. the >>> unbroken ones have the Burroughs b-7971 stamp. >>> >>> Clarke >>> >>> Sent from Verizon Note 2 >>> >>> >>> On Sep 7, 2017 1:07 PM, "gregebert" <[email protected]> wrote: >>> >>>> I had none in storage, and the ones I purchased in the past year had no >>>> signs of stress. Is it possible yours were damaged in storage ? I've never >>>> seen glass weaken on it's own. Also, the pins are fairly rigid (unlike >>>> IN-18's which are quite soft) so if there are any bent ones, it suggests >>>> the tube was stressed while stored. >>>> >>>> I suggest you carefully inspect the base for glass-cracks, then >>>> bench-test them. If you are into data-collection, I suggest gathering I-V >>>> data for each segment on each tube, then plotting and comparing. It takes >>>> a >>>> bit of time, but I'm glad I did it for mine. >>>> >>>> >>>> -- >>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the >>>> Google Groups "neonixie-l" group. >>>> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit >>>> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/neonixie-l/JI3olwmKrh8/unsubscribe. >>>> To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to >>>> [email protected]. >>>> To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. >>>> To view this discussion on the web, visit >>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/d4cdb80d-9854-4cba-937e-2e8f26d311ce%40googlegroups.com >>>> >>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/d4cdb80d-9854-4cba-937e-2e8f26d311ce%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> >>>> . >>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >>>> >>> -- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the >> Google Groups "neonixie-l" group. >> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit >> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/neonixie-l/JI3olwmKrh8/unsubscribe. >> To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to >> [email protected] <javascript:>. >> To post to this group, send email to [email protected] >> <javascript:>. >> To view this discussion on the web, visit >> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/8e00b25f-08f5-41b5-9d36-59d8417068fe%40googlegroups.com >> >> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/8e00b25f-08f5-41b5-9d36-59d8417068fe%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> >> . >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >> > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "neonixie-l" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. To post to this group, send an email to [email protected]. To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/2328f3c1-e5f4-4a12-a199-31e825e4844d%40googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
