Edward,

when putting protection on brass be careful as the surface has to be
totally free of any moisture which could cause a slow patina due to
oxidisation on it under the protection. One way to avoid this is to warm
the plates to drive off any moisture before applying the protection. A hair
dryer works well for this.
I used to put clear lacquer on brass but now leave it polished as it can
'age' to give a good effect or it can be polished back to a shine if
required. The copper on the TME was aged with Liver of Sulphur to make it
look older. I have used this before on a Steampunk lamp clock as it can
give very good aging to pieces and if you scrub parts with fine steel wool
you can get even more depth to the finish.

https://www.amazon.com/Liver-Sulphur-Gel-Ounce-Jar/dp/B00341129U