My 8-tube b7971 clock is powered by a RasPi; I posted a video several
months ago before I built the case.

Using the WiringPi library, you can get decent GPIO speeds; I've measured
about 2Mbits/sec when serialized completely by software.
The problem is that the Pi runs Linux, so there are random time-slices the
OS needs for housekeeping, so there will occasionally be gaps of a few
milliseconds.
For a clock, this shouldn't matter. This particular clock stores the
segment data in a shift-register, and the Pi serializes the bit stream for
8 tubes * 16 bits/tube = 128 bits total.
I update the time every second, and I've never observed any display
glitches.

Why use a RasPi ? Many reasons.

   - 10USD cost. OK, yeah, that doesn't include a 4GB micro-SD card or a
   power supply
   - Onboard WiFi, which means you can update software without opening-up
   or moving the clock. Just login and patch.
   - Full goodness of Linux, and the zillions of apps you can install
   - Remote access via VNC
   - Low power
   - No need to set the time - Automatically obtains it from your network
   (unless your network or internet service goes down)

As long as you are aware of the pitfalls of a RasPi, you can easily work
around them. In a few years I will find out if the  OS causes the micro SD
card to 'wear-out' , or if my clock gets hacked by a cyber terrorist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjQeW67viXw