The idea is that the tubes are run at full brightness for a while, every so
often to drive off deposits from the cathodes.

I haven’t seen any experimental results indicating how successful this is.
However I have certainly witnessed complete glow coverage being restored when
cathodes are driven at a greater than normal current (in the space of minutes),
so there might be something to it.