My background is technical/scientific with a very broad reach, which
reflects my diverse interests. My day job though, is software engineering.

I can't remember when I first saw a Nixie clock, but at the time they were
out of my price range. Fast forward to a few years ago, and they suddenly
seemed more affordable, so I bought  a kit and put it together. It was a
good kit, but I was also disattisfied with some aspect of it and figured
'how hard can it be'? This should be written on my grave stone. It's a
frame of mind that leads me down interesting pathways, and in this case has
occupied my spare time for the last couple of years (and is likely to
occupy it for a long time to come). Saying it is a path though is slightly
misleading. It implies a linear progression from one point to another, but
in fact I have been all over the place. My ostensible aim was to just
design and build an IN-18 clock, but I have gotten diverted into restoring
old radios and other vintage equipment, building a battery-powered nixie
clock, building an ITS1A clock, collecting nixies tubes, putting a few more
kits together, and (of course) learning enough electronics to do all of
this. There is much, much more to learn, and I have barely touched on case
fabrication.

So for me, I guess it is a gateway hobby.

To show how easily distracted I am, the phrase 'and they suddenly seemed
more affordable' almost derailed this entire response. It strikes me as
worthy of a research project.