Ah, the truth hurts.  "Old-fashioned" though it may be, this is the style 
of PC board that I design most of the time - I probably crank out half a 
dozen or so of these a year (and the number seems to be going up).  
Although I have a surface-mount oven (commercial purpose-built - not a 
modified toaster oven), have made several SM boards, and many more boards 
with some SM components, my default choice for hobby purposes or 
limited-run products (such as clocks, or boutique musical electronics) is 
always through-hole.  It's so much easier to hand-assemble and debug, and 
"blue-wire" modifications are easier too (although I finally seem to be 
needing fewer of those now days).  Once I got used to it, though, routing 
is a bit easier with SM boards; most of mine are two-layer, with occasional 
four-layer for larger, more complex designs (>50 ICs).

Your board looks very nice.  Above and beyond functionality, your layout is 
very aesthetically pleasing.  The white surface provides a unique look, 
although it can be difficult to troubleshoot as others have pointed out; I 
personally prefer black.  Also, many of the board vendors offer ENIG gold 
coating as a surprisingly inexpensive option, and this brings a very 
high-quality look to a board - much like a piece of 1970s HP test 
equipment; soldering the ENIG can be a bit more fussy, although not bad 
(especially if you use good old SnPb solder).

I'm looking forward to seeing the case you put this in!
~~
Mark

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"neonixie-l" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web, visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/82164387-d959-4830-8e0e-db42c175363e%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to