The FET's (and diodes) I'm using, are well within the specs. None of those
show any sign of heat at all. Also, I am using FET's with low QG/Rds etc.

My own supply uses a current-sense resistor, which I can be used for
measuring purposes.

Most of the commonly used supplies runs around 40-60kHz, and uses 100uH
inductors (DCM).

I am actually looking into using (much) higher inductance and higher
frequencies. So far simulations looks OK, and I get "CCM-ish" curves and
reasonably good efficiency. Will do some more simulations before I make a
test board.

What particular things are you thinking about ?