Thanks for all the comments,  sorry I could not reply sooner.

I have added mercury to glow tubes in the past but I have not wanted to
contaminate my new pump.

I could do it on my old pump but it is not able to pump below 1 torr and
the tube would be left with impurities.

My electrodes consist of copper welded to tungsten with a nickel buffer and
then the tungsten welded to nickel wire that forms the digits inside the
tube.

The tungsten forms the actual seal to the pyrex glass and the copper
provides a nice external lead.

I heat up the tube with the torch while pumping for about a minute and let
it pump under high(ish) vacuum (5-10  microns) for 30 min.

I then open the bleed valve and adjust the pressure until the glow looks
good and seal it off.

I also have made Triodes in the past and those require about 15 min heating
with the torch on the pump along with an hour of pumping.