If I remember correctly my colleagues spoke about the normal capacitor
reforming by applying voltage to them after long storage (1-2years or more
in storage) and also the "resetting" that they are subjected to when
soldering: https://ec.kemet.com/blog/mlcc-dielectric-differences/

" Ceramic Capacitor Aging

Aging is another characteristic exhibited by ferroelectric, or Class II and
III dielectrics. While manufacturing the ceramic capacitor, the dielectric
is exposed to temperatures more than 1000°C. For Barium Titanate devices,
the Curie temperature can be in the range of 130°C to 150°C, depending on
the particular formulation. When exposed to the Curie temperature, the
crystalline structure aligns to a tetragonal pattern. Once cooled, the
ceramic’s crystalline structure changes to a cubic change. As this
structure changes, so does the material’s dielectric constant.

Over time, the capacitance will continue to decline. It is possible to
reset this aging cycle by “resetting” the material, by exposing it to its
Curie temperature this usually occurs during re-flow. Typically, you can
find the aging rate in the catalog for a particular part type. Below is an
example of aging rates:"

Our problems started when capacitors started to break and/or fall of the
circuit boards even though our designed were approved by the capacitor
manufacturer! We also experienced the problems with degrading capacitance
in MLCC capacitors but it was even worse with self-healing polypropylene
capacitors as it affected the smart-meters power supplies - it all turned
out to be manufacturing problems of the capacitors due to moisture in the
materials.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/348506751_Analysis_of_Failure_Mechanism_of_Smart_Meter_Capacitance

"In practical applications, smart meters will fail, and even have batch
quality problems. In addition to the sampling inspection of the arrival
quality of smart meters, the analysis of the failure mechanism of smart
meters has become an important and long-term task. This article mainly
analyzes the component capacitance commonly used in smart meters, and
analyses the failure of chip multilayer ceramic dielectric capacitors from
appearance observation, electrical parameter testing, metallographic
slicing, and at the same time from electrolytic appearance observation,
electrical parameter testing, X- RAY, SEM and EDS for failure analysis. The
results of failure mechanism research not only help to improve the
reliability of the domestic energy meter manufacturing level, but also can
save energy meter maintenance and transformation costs, and have very
important practical significance for the construction of smart grids."

/Martin