There is a suggestion that google are placing more and more stringent
requirements on email senders in order to push users onto a small number of
providers such as google themselves and make it more difficult to run your
own mailservers.

I did see a number of mails from mailing lists in the spam folder, and
marked them 'not spam'. I'm not seeing many at the moment, just a lot of
'offers' which very clearly ARE spam.

If you see non-spam there, look to see where it's come from.