I think I'd agree.

I've used the Russian K155ID1 drivers from eBay which seem to work OK
(after finding out the first Eagle library I used had the power supply pins
swapped so VCC was on pin 12 - reminded me to check new library symbols
every time now) but it's clearly been a long time, since they seem to be
silly money now. I repaired my HP 5326A with one of those on a small
daughter board plugged in to where the HP custom chip lived. Not that I use
it as my daily driver any more, since the fan is too noisy.
If you lived in UK, I could post you one for grins - assuming I can find
one in the parts bins.