On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 15:08:26 -0700 Wes wrote:

WH> SH> I have fix to make it keep overrides. But I did not implement
WH> SH> setting kernel ifalias because on most systems snmpd runs as
WH> SH> non-root (no cap_netadmin) and is therefore not allowed to set the
WH> SH> value in sysfs (or via netlink).

I'm not sure that snmpd runs as non-root on most systems. Regardless, I think
we should provide the ability to set it, and let the system admin decide if
they want to run as root or set cap_netadmin.

WH> Then we should probably discuss if you SET the ifAlias then snmpd simply
WH> reports that value back in the future, regardless of what the kernel
WH> might report through other ways.  EG an alias would be:
WH>
WH> 1) the last value set for that interface
WH> 2) the super-cool string created from kernel info (from the patch) if
possible
WH> 3) an empty string

I'm not a big fan of this idea. If we pull data from the kernel, then we
should keep it in sync. Keeping our own value that doesn't match feels wrong.

WH> [in fact, it's probably questionable as to whether the patch is legal in
WH> the first place since it says it should be a zero-length string until
WH> set]

Although it might violate the letter of the law, I think it is in keeping with
the spirit of the law, which is simply to provide a long term alias. And if
the kernel does the dirty work of keeping track of the alias even if the
ifIndex changes (which we don't currently do), all the better.