On 03/31/18 22:19, Keith Mendoza wrote:
I personally feel that whoever is running the automated tests should
make the necessary changes to their environment to resolve any
hostname that is needed to run the tests.

I don't have root access to the BSD and AIX systems that I use for testing Net-SNMP. So modifying /etc/resolv.conf or equivalent on these systems is not an option.

From a software development and testing point-of-view I feel that we
will eventually get caught in expanding the number of hostnames that
will have to be handled by all the hostname resolution utility
functions in snmplib/system.c. I haven't had a chance to do a complete
analysis of how many each of the *gethostbyname* function variants are
used through the net-snmp code base; so, I'm not going to speak as to
whether these changes is limited to netsnmp_gethostbyname_v4(), or
should be applied elsewhere.

That's not correct. onea.net-snmp.org and twoa.net-snmp.org are the only two that need special handling. If more functions than netsnmp_gethostbyname_v4() would have to recognize these hostnames, we can refactor the host name resolution functions such that only one function needs to know about these special hostnames.

Bart.