Thanks for sharing so important inputs and thoughts! I feel a growing
frustration about how politicians are handling this issues. In the worst
draugh a province in Australia sold the common water to a private
enterprise.
And neither Bolsonaro or Morrison or Trump are acting as leaders in time of
a crisis. They carry on and on and on not relating fires to capitalism and
its ways, fracking and mining.
They despise the knowledge of scientists and of the aboriginal ways to live
and work they blame the people speaking about climate change.
I assume many on this list are familiar with Donna Haraway. Her writings
about the Anthroposcene a new age where we, Mankind, are responsible for
disasters and ways to live which unsettle Nature and the natural order are
very important and give advice and explanations.
Ana

El El dom, 5 de ene. de 2020 a la(s) 11:43, Edward Picot via NetBehaviour <
netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org> escribió:

> Helen,
>
> That's really useful information about the donation links and the Adani
> coal mine. I didn't know about the coal mine before.
>
> As for Scott Morrison and his government, I think there's more to it than
> sheer stupidity. As with Trump and Boris Johnson, there's a right-wing
> populist agenda at play, which is all about protecting and promoting the
> interests of big business, but it sustains itself in power by appealing to
> certain lowest-common-denominator prejudices in the minds of the voting
> public, and serving up what are basically lies to reinforce its appeal. So
> Morrison has now moved on from claiming that the link between bushfires and
> global warming is all in the minds of urban woke greeny loony lefties; he's
> now claiming that he never denied that link in the first place; but he's
> also making out that the bushfires are particularly bad because the greeny
> loony lefties have been blocking bushfire hazard reduction measures in the
> national parks. This is rejected as nonsense by bushfire experts, but the
> claim doesn't have to be accurate to make its impact. And that's the
> problem. Populist politics has found the faultline in modern democracy,
> where things don't have to be true, or even make sense, to influence voting
> patterns; they use tactics of misinformation and misdirection as a
> deliberate policy to sustain themselves in power. And the left/green
> parties haven't yet found a way to counteract those tactics, or to tap into
> the huge groundswell of opinion which is undoubtedly building behind
> environmentalist causes, particularly amongst the young. In countries like
> the UK young people just take it for granted that something urgently needs
> to be done about the environment; but they don't have any faith in the
> political parties to deliver the required changes. So their convictions
> don't translate into votes. And you can't blame them. The environment
> hardly featured as an issue in the election we just had.
>
> Things are going to change, I'm sure. But how much damage is the planet
> going to sustain before the changes happen? It's a frightening prospect.
>
> Edward
>

> On 05/01/2020 13:10, Helen Varley Jamieson wrote:
>
> hi alan,
>
> it is truly devastating & catastrophic what is happening in australia, &
> outrageous that the government there continues to be so fucking stupid. i
> heard that scott morrison (the prime minister, who chose to have a hawaiian
> holiday in the midst of it all) would fly out to china to discuss trade
> negotiations, including coal mining, immediately after meeting with fire
> chiefs. his inability to make the connections is staggering.
>
> i have many family and friends in australia and everyone is affected in
> some way; some have lost property, everyone is affected by the smoke, my
> family & friends in new zealand are also seeing and breathing the smoke.
> [...]
https://anavaldes.wordpress.com/
www.twitter.com/caravia158
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0

<http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/>

cell Sweden +4670-3213370
cell Uruguay +598-99470758

your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always
long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci