Hi All! I've had this on my to do list all week and am finally getting to it... Some of mine have already been mentioned, but I hope it doesn't hurt to mention them again...

MY NAME:  Rachel Beth Egenhoefer

5 WOMEN I THINK ARE AMAZING:

Katherine Hayles
I know she's been mentioned already... "How we became Post Human" is one of my favorite books. In addition to being incredibly smart, ahead of the curve, able to make an argument and stand by it, I can say from personal experience that she is one of the most lovely academics to meet in person. I had the honor of working with her when she was at UCLA and I was always amazed at how down to earth and easy going she was. Able to sip a soda, make jokes, and talk about the news, and then go right into intense theory about the printing press and reading novels on mobile phones. FYI, she is now at Duke University - <http://fds.duke.edu/db/aas/ Literature/n.hayles>

Martha Rosler
In one of my very first video classes back in undergrad we watched "Semiotics of the Kitchen" and I was hooked. Today some of my students find this video boring (not enough whiz bang for them I guess) and it frustrated me that they can't put themselves in the time period that it was made and see it as an exploration of trying to figure out what the medium was and what it could do. In addition to her early videos she has written and edited numerous essays and books. She is still making work in New York and teaching at Rutgers University.

Sandy Stone (aka Allucquere Rosanne Stone)
Along with Sadie Plant who has already been mentioned, her texts are some of my favorites. "Split Subjects, Not Atoms; or, How I Fell in Love with My Prosthesis" is an oldie but a goodie and I think way ahead of it's time. I think she brings an interesting addition to the list as a transgendered individual.
Her semi-new website it pretty amusing... <http://sandystone.com>

Margaret Morse
"Video Installation Art: The Body, the Image, and the Space-in- between" is a wonderful little easy she wrote that is in a book "illuminating Video". I ready this years ago and still come back to it. I think that "video" should be dropped from the title as it really speaks to a lot of different kinds of art forms and how we view them, create them, display them, etc. She of course has many other texts as well, all written very intelligently but accessible.

Sue Gollifer
This email wouldn't fit in your inbox if I listed everything Sue has a hand in. To name a few she is either on the board/ a member of/ holds a position in ISEA, SIGGRAPH, CAA (College Arts Association), Computer Arts Society (CAS), DACS (Design and Artist Copyright Society), Lighthouse Brighton, and many many more, all while also heading the MA in Digital Arts at the University of Brighton, working with Digital Printmaking, writing, making, and yes she has pink hair. Sue is no-nonsense, tells it like it is, gets things done, is amazingly successful, and yet still has a ton of fun, and is incredibly kind and generous.
<http://artsresearch.brighton.ac.uk/research/academic/gollifer>

And lastly as one extra... I'd like to add Ada's mother - Anna Isabella Noel Byron. She is the one who raised Ada and encouraged her to study math and science instead of literature.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Isabella_Milbanke>

Happy Ada Day/ Week!  And thanks Ruth and Marc for organizing!
Rachel Beth

Rachel Beth Egenhoefer
Assistant Professor, Design
University of San Francisco