My Ada Lovelace Day suggestions. I have more to post today as well...

My name - Marc Garrett.
http://www.furtherfield.org

Anne-Marie Schleiner

Velvet-Strike. http://www.opensorcery.net/velvet-strike - A collection
of spray paints to use as graffiti on the walls, ceiling, and floor of
the popular network shooter terrorism game "Counter-Strike",
conceptualized during the beginning of Bush’s "War on Terrorism."

"...part of a growing movement to bring a message of peace, love and
happiness to online shooters by any means necessary. Graphical User
Intervention, a more radical group of protesters, will go so far as to
sacrifice their characters for the greater cause of getting out a
message of non-violence." Wired.

When this appeared on the net art scene in 2002 I completely understood
and appreciate why Anne-marie used her computing and art skills to
embark in such a dynamic interventionist tactic, in challenging the
psychology, attitudes and fetish around violence and war in the form of
interventionist, networked play. It had to be done, especially in
contrast to the overwhelming experience of witnessing our governments
and media falling into the typical trappings of opting for more violence
to (supposedly) solve terrorism. I personally, found it all extremely
frustrating seeing the world torn apart by other (slack) males, as well
as those who bought into. This is also one of the various anti-war net
artworks, which inspired me to make some of my own anti-war net art-works.

-------------------------------

Aileen Deirig

Aileen, for her dedication in being part of and supporting various
contemporary, independent groups and organisations; many involving women
where she has selflessly shared her energy, ideas and varied skills,
whether it be in programming, writing or social engagement. A
collaborator who genuinely incorporates her personal, social and
contextual beliefs into her everyday life and practice. I also admire
her intelligence in understanding that art is not just about product,
but also fluid place where contemporary factors such as feminism,
politics, technology and human context all have a place, allow agency.
Some of the projects that Aileen has been involved with are
Genderchangers - http://genderchangers.org, the faces list -
http://www.faces-l.net/, the Servus blog -
http://core.servus.at/node/164, the Furtherfield blog -
http://blog.furtherfield.org (thanks Aileen), Monochrome Blog -