I'm with Corrado here.

Martin is welcome to believe that you can't simultaneously purse artist
and academic careers. I suggest that considerable empirical evidence
exists to demonstrate otherwise. I guess Joseph Beuys wasn't an artist...

Michael has chipped in with some elaborations on what Martin may or may
not have meant. Here is my response.

Artists haven't "recently" become more and more involved in academia.
The first institutional art and architecture schools opened in this
country in the 19th century. Before the majority of universities inf
fact. There is a  (very rich) tradition in this country and in many
others such as Germany, US etc.  that people who work in these places
also are practicing artists.

To set-up some kind of 'poacher-gamekeeper" division between the "real
artists" presumably starving, living in garratts and and working
independently  and those who have academic posts and also continue to
practice is not something I think I can subscribe to.

I'm frankly baffled by the attacks on people who are practicing
artists/academics.

It's not as though we design weapons of mass production for a living.

For me anyhow there is a whiff of the neo-liberal right about all this.
Real artists live and work in the private sector and then you've got the
other lot - the mendicants who work in the public sector. //