very particular types of normalising exchange between masses of peopleŠ I don't
see any general connection with mass social media usage.²

@Ruth, I am complete sympathetic with the underlying premise of your
position, however, isn¹t it the role of the artist to disrupt these
platforms and make them our own? If it is impossible for artists to detourn,
restructure, or remake social relations using anything designed by a
commercial company, which is almost everything, then we are truly sunk. Like
the Situationists, the detourn was intended to ³break² or ³resist² existing
power structures and alter their political reality on our terms, not theirs.
Can¹t we make significant work with a Mac or a PC or a iPhone or present our
work in a commercial gallery or a theater owned by a corporation? It seems
there is no end to the structures we are forced to work within that are
commercial and corporate, it is the very world we operate in a capitalist
society. That said, I think it then becomes the responsibility or the
objective of the artist to pursue these disruptions within the existing
framework,  commercial or not, or as you point out, to ³critique and expose
the logic of the platforms.² But if we don¹t challenge and confront these
platforms, how else can we expose them?

Regarding the linkage between the Happenings and social media, I am speaking
very formally here in terms of specific paradigms, processes, and techniques
that the two share in common. It is perhaps more a call-to-action then a
reality.

On 04/03/15 16:19, Randall Packer wrote:

> It is my personal opinion that social media promises, at least in part a new
> look at the collective forms that emerged in the 1960s & 1970s. I don¹t want
> to go into a full-blown lecture here (my students get enough of that), but the
> link between the Happening and social media platforms such as Twitter,
> Facebook, Tumblr, the mailing lists, etc., suggest there is plenty of creative
> room for improvisation and audience engagement + interaction + remix in this
> form of participatory, collective narrative via the network.

  I have heard eminent artists and theorists make this argument before and
it feels all wrong to me.

 Social medial platforms are designed by commercial companies to elicit very
particular types of normalising exchange between masses of people.

 From the perspective of the platform providers, the purpose of the users
actions and interactions is to squirt lucrative data.

 The functioning of Happenings and Intermedial exchange was to detourn,
restructure, or re-make social relations- if only for a short duration.

 I don't see any general connection with mass social media usage.

 There have been media art projects that critique and expose the logic of
the platforms. Moddr_'s Web 2.0 Suicide Machine
<http://suicidemachine.org/>, Commodify Us <https://commodify.us/>,. Marc
interviewed them here
http://www.furtherfield.org/features/reviews/commodify-us-our-data-our-terms

 This is why Furtherfield bangs on about the importance of Free and Open
culture (in arts and software)
 <http://p2pfoundation.net/World_of_Free_and_Open_Source_Art>