Just wanted to say the walks are beautiful, intense, disturbing; I love the desert myself -

On Wed, 9 Dec 2015, John Hopkins wrote:

Hi Helen --

john, evolution and change are not only possible, they are inevitable.
there was a time before these systems existed (not really so long ago,
in the greater scheme of things) and there will be a time after.
unfortunately it probably won't be in our life time & i'm not placing
any bets on how long it will take, or what it will be replaced with, but
that's no reason not to strive for something better.

Yes, you are right, that evolution/change is inevitable. I am definitely a believer in change being the only thing that doesn't change! In the big picture, we are an influential-but-transitory species on the planet. Maybe it's more of an existential question -- how it is that human behavioral evolution proceeds so slowly, & while we are blessed/cursed with this extremely short existence during which we have to come to terms with glacial change rates (no pun intended)...

It's hard to remain optimistic given the harsh polarization and primitive undercurrents of hate-of-the-Other that surface here in the US these days, especially when fiscal precarity dogs each day. Art-making seems so peripheral and irrelevant within such a system. My only respite is walking deep into the desert, though even there the war machines are evident...

http://tech-no-mad.net/blog/archives/12123
http://tech-no-mad.net/blog/archives/8996
http://tech-no-mad.net/blog/archives/2655
http://tech-no-mad.net/blog/archives/46007