You are not alone Ben :-)

We have been having the same problems with NM 3.01

I'm based in the UK and am sitting on the end of a 128K dedicated leased line.
Apparently, our linux firewall gets in the way of vid/audio (everything else works
fine) and we will be probably upgrading this to a different distribution of linux -
one that supports h.323.

I've tried to answer your questions below:

On 09/07/2000 at 12:00 Ben Davidson wrote:

>Apparently this didn't arrive as it was in HTML!
>
>Brian answered some of my questions, but I wondered if anyone else had any
>thoughts.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ben

Although I have not got it working yet....I believe you can have multiple users
but.... without using a multi-user conferencing servera dn package, you can only see
one at a time. i.e. your vid screen displays one user (possibly with you as picture in
picture too). When you want to see someone else, you will need to click on their names
int he list of users in th ebottom half of the vid window.

>2/    I've gopt the impression many (most?) people here are from the States?
>Here in the uk ADSL is just about to be introduced for the first time.  At
>the moment, British Telecom advise me that initially the 'contention ration'
>on the ADSL line will be 50:1 (I guesss that means 50 users on 1 IP
>address).  Will this adversely affect the speed of adsl and what impact will
>it have on the videoconferendcing functioning?

Contention ratio is the ration of users on th esame LINE not the same IP. ie. if the
line is 512Kbps and there is one user, that user will get 512kbps bandwidth. If there
were two users, each would share the bandwidth and get 256kbps each (this actually
depends on the traffic - each user will get up to 512 if the other user is not
transmitting/recieving). So, with a ratio of 50:1 and every user in an active session,
each user would get 10.2kbps!!! I would think this would be likely to average out to
about 64kbps each (or the equiv of ISDN).

Hope that helps. Let me know if you succeed with Netmeeting, I'm trying to get a team
of six to work on it.

Best Regards

Andy Sheldon
work4sure.com Ltd.