On 28 Apr 2011, Steve Fryatt <li...@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:

> On 28 Apr, Tim Powys-Lybbe wrote in message
>     <mpro.lkd2te00002hm0068....@powys.org>:
>
> > On 28 Apr at 11:26, Steve Fryatt <li...@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > Just download the current build.  You can see what rev it's up to from
> > > the entries under "Recent SVN Activity" further down the page: as I
> > > write this, the latest entry there is still r12243.  However, as Richard
> > > says, later builds (ie ones with higher 'r' numbers) will still contain
> > > the same changes unless one of the developers specifically undoes them
> > > again for some reason.
> >
> > And the last sentence confirms the problem.  There is no means of actually
> > downloading any specific revision number and instructions to do so are
> > plain misleading.  Or do I have this wrong?
>
> Why would you want to download r12243 specifically?  You were advised to try
> r12243: that version or any later one will do[1].  In effect, being told to
> "try rXXXXX" means -- to all intents and purposes -- "download a new test
> build and try it".
>

> 1. The only time it doesn't is if the change in question has subsequently
> been undone.  As Rob says: a) this isn't common, and b) if the change in
> question has been reverted, you probably didn't want to test it anyway.  I
> only mentioned that to stop the pedants biting, but it seems to have
> failed...

 Sometimes something stops working, as I keep a selection of previous revisions
I can get some idea of when this happened to try and find the cause. If other
revisions were still available it might be possible to locate the change that
was the cause, or at least in which revision it occured. We are constantly
warned that dev builds may be unstable, so, as I access the internet on a
friends computer I always leave it to auto load the latest stable version and
change to the latest dev build if I have problems with a site.

--
Erving