Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 08:39:45 -500
From: Alan - VE3NNM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Exhaustive PS\1 Newsgroup Lesson


> Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 00:35:15 -700
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Exhaustive PS\1 Newsgroup Lesson
 
> Well, folks...
>
> I've finally completed my extremely thorough struggle with learning
> the limitations and peculiarities of using Net-Tamer V1.11.2X with a
> 2400 bps modem and an IBM PS\1.  It can be done -- but let me explain...
 
> At first, I wrote a note to the list thinking that there was something
> wrong with Net-Tamer downloading Newsgroup messages from selected
> subject passes (you know, 1S- passes, etc.).  But then I noticed I was
> beginning to get *partial* download success.  Sometimes I'd get a nice
> list of subjects; other times, I'd see the subjects scroll merrily across
> the screen, only to vanish after I tried to bring them up for selection
> in the Usenet section offline.  Yet, bit by bit, I discovered that I
> had to start selecting and downloading *one group at a time* -- first,
> downloading the subject headers, and secondly, downloading the selected
> messages.  And even still -- one group would not let me download more
> than about 25 subjects.  And even after that, it took me about *FOUR*
> passes to finally retrieve a total of *8* meager messages (this was from
> comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc) from this group.
 
> I suppose the Internet, Net-Tamer 1.11.2X, my ISP and tiny 2400 bps
> modem just have a way of letting me know my limitations with them! <g>
 
<snip>
 
  I suspect that your difficulties are not related to NetTamer or the
computer you're running. The most likely culprit is the 2400bps
connection speed causing your ISP to abort the data transfer. Many ISPs
won't even accept a connect attempt at 2400bps anymore - you'd just hear
the ISP's modem carrier speed down-shifting as it tries to handshake
with the caller, and when it gets below 9600bps or 7200bps or so it'd
hang up. In your case, the ISP is accepting the call, but probably
aborts when it detects the data throughput is very poor and assumes
the connection is bad.
 
  I suspect that if you borrowed a 9600bps or 14400bps modem for an
experiment in the same PS/1, it'd work fine. A strong test that could
point to your 2400bps modem would be to time your connection from the
point where the data starts to flow up to the abort point - if it's
always about the same time period, that'd be a strong indication of
transfer rate problems.  So could similar file sizes if the actual times
are different. Either experience could suggest an abort at the source
because the ISP thinks the pipes are clogged.
 
  I suggest that if you try a faster modem, it be the internal style.
Your PS/1 probably has an 8250 or 16450 chip controlling your serial
port, and medium and fast speed external modems don't generally get
along with a configuration like that - your connection might abort for
reasons unrelated to the original cause. An internal modem contains its
own serial port controller chip, so everything is compatible. I don't
know if the PS/1 used that odd-ball MCA expansion slot featured in the
later models, though - if it does, good luck finding a modem to fit it.
 
  I seem to recall experimenting with a 2400bps modem on a 286 and
having similar results - it was a long time ago, and the memory is a
little fuzzy now.  Maybe someone else on the mail list might want to
experiment with it.  I'd suggest powering up an old XT or a slow 286 to
represent the similar capabilities of the PS/1, and trying to download a
busy newsgroup with a 2400bps modem - then swapping the 2400bps modem
for a 9600bps or 14000bps modem and seeing if there's any difference in
the ability to get a complete transfer.
 
-- 
 
        From the keyboard of Alan - VE3NNM (Kenora, ON, CANADA)
                  http://members.xoom.com/kenoraradio/
  -------------------------------------------------------------------
           mailed using NetTamer       |  The TRUTH about Micro$oft
    http://www.nettamer.net/tamer.html |  http://www.vcnet.com/bms/
  -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Intel's Pentium 3! - http://www.bigbrotherinside.com
 



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to