Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 23:30:39 -700
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Exhaustive PS\1 Newsgroup Lesson
Alan - VE3NNM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said (in part), as follows:
>I suspect that your difficulties are not related to NetTamer or the
>computer you're running. The most likely culprit is the 2400bps
>connection speed causing your ISP to abort the data transfer. ...
If that were the case, then I'd expect to have similar problems with
other online functions, but that isn't the case. I have no other
comparable problems with online web surfing, large file downloads, or
even viewing graphic files while in browsing mode. I am certain,
though, that there's more difficulty during busy traffic times (and
that's easy enough to avoid) -- and when trying to access busy news-
group or www sites. At any rate, I believe the ebb and flow of data
transfer with this PS/1-2400bps machine is no more erratic than my
much faster 486-14.4kbps machine.
I suspect that if you borrowed a 9600bps or 14400bps modem for an
experiment in the same PS/1, it'd work fine. A strong test that could
point to your 2400bps modem would be to time your connection from the
point where the data starts to flow up to the abort point - if it's
always about the same time period, that 'd be a strong indication of
transfer rate problems. So could similar file sizes if the actual times
are different. Either experience could suggest an abort at the source
because the ISP thinks the pipes are clogged.
>I suggest that if you try a faster modem, it be the internal style.
>Your PS/1 probably has an 8250 or 16450 chip controlling your serial
>port, and medium and fast speed external modems don't generally get
>along with a configuration like that - your connection might abort for
>reasons unrelated to the original cause. An internal modem contains its
>own serial port controller chip, so everything is compatible. I don't
>know if the PS/1 used that odd-ball MCA expansion slot featured in the
>later models, though - if it does, good luck finding a modem to fit it.
My "workaround" to the newsgroup problem isn't really that much of an
inconvenience. All I have to remember is that I should only retrieve
one newsgroup selection per online pass -- and I might add that I've
found it best to log on without any automated tasks, hit Alt+U, take note
of the result, and proceed to the next step or two, as needed.
Net-Tamer V 1.11.2X - Registered
********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************