Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 00:35:15 -700
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Exhaustive PS\1 Newsgroup Lesson

Well, folks...

I've finally completed my extremely thorough struggle with learning
the limitations and peculiarities of using Net-Tamer V1.11.2X with a
2400 bps modem and an IBM PS\1.  It can be done -- but let me explain...

At first, I wrote a note to the list thinking that there was something
wrong with Net-Tamer downloading Newsgroup messages from selected
subject passes (you know, 1S- passes, etc.).  But then I noticed I was
beginning to get *partial* download success.  Sometimes I'd get a nice
list of subjects; other times, I'd see the subjects scroll merrily across
the screen, only to vanish after I tried to bring them up for selection
in the Usenet section offline.  Yet, bit by bit, I discovered that I
had to start selecting and downloading *one group at a time* -- first,
downloading the subject headers, and secondly, downloading the selected
messages.  And even still -- one group would not let me download more
than about 25 subjects.  And even after that, it took me about *FOUR*
passes to finally retrieve a total of *8* meager messages (this was from
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc) from this group.

I suppose the Internet, Net-Tamer 1.11.2X, my ISP and tiny 2400 bps
modem just have a way of letting me know my limitations with them! <g>
Actually, I should probably accept this delicate situation as a natural
buffer to control unnecessarily large volumes of e-mail.  After all,
many of us probably filter and/or select only appropriate messages to
read from large subject lists and could never possibly have time to
read everything.  Even so, these frugal limitations aren't a burden or
a serious problem for this PS\1 system -- after all the tests and trial
runs, I know understand clearly and simply that the documentation just
didn't take into account these cramped conditions.  And I had to learn
about it the hard way.  Now it's easy. <g>

And meeting the challenge and solving it is a satisfying experience.

C:\>_______j_e_r_r_y__j__h_a_u_m_b_e_r_g_e_r_______  **another*happy**
#:/>_an_advocate_of_sensible_CLI_operating_systems_  **WordStar*user**

-*- Nothing's difficult after you've mastered it.

Net-Tamer V 1.11.2X - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to