Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 08:23:05 -0800
From: Walter Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Error 52 At CNN's Website


David:

     This is to let you and others know that Net-Tamer (beta 1.12 
released on 11-26-99) will no longer browse CNN's website 
(www.cnn.com). Any attempt to browse this site results in an error 52 
posted to NT.ERR while Net-Tamer aborts the process just after 
download and either before parsing begins or during parsing. Version 
1.11.2 (all implementations -- including the palmtop software) also 
experiences the same problem. These results also occur on a 286 laptop 
running only the XT/286 and palmtop software under MS-DOS 5.00. Older 
versions of Net-Tamer will successfully present pages from CNN's 
website. However, I'm not certain any of them are showing all 
available links. In some older versions, Net-Tamer will go to a link 
other than that which was selected. Thus, Net-Tamer's reference to 
links is out of synch with what is displayed on the screen for users 
to select.

    The problem noted here has occurred after the denial-of-service 
attack on CNN's website last week. I was not able to access the site 
in the two days preceding the denial-of-service attack because I was 
nowhere near a computer. I did not log into the site again until 
Thursday and did so only in INTERNET Explorer whereupon I noticed a 
number of cosmetic and organizational changes. I therefore can't say 
if CNN made any changes prior to the denial-of-service attack or 
subsequent to it. I can only say that changes have been made which 
prevent Net-Tamer from parsing any of CNN's webpages -- at least from 
my PPP connection to the INTERNET from CompuServe -- and that I only 
noticed them after the denial-of-service attack. Maybe CNN made 
special changes to the display of their website at the same time they 
tried to make it as hack-proof as they could; I don't know.

    As for versions of Net-Tamer that can still  browse  CNN:  Version 
1.08 (XT/286 and 386 implementations) can handle it -- although I'm 
not sure if it recognizes and displays all links. Version 1.09 (386 
implementation will display pages from this site but selected links  
are  often  (not always)  out of synch with what is displayed on the 
screen. The XT/286 implementation of version 1.09 will NOT display any 
pages at all from CNN's website. Version 1.10 (XT/286 implementation) 
will display pages at CNN's site with no more difficulty than existed 
prior to last week. However,  the 386 implementation of version 1.10 
suffers the same fate as do the 1.11.2 and 1.12 beta versions for 386 
systems.

                        Walter Scott

CC'd to Net-Tamer List Group

 
<><><> News & Views, 24 Hours A Day, 7 Days A Week, Are The Net <><><>

NTReader v0.18(P)/Beta in conjunction with Net-Tamer



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to