Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 08:38:43 +0800
From: "Ronald C. Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Error 52 At CNN's Website

On 2000-02-16 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
   >CC: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   >On 2000-02-16 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
   >>NL>Thus I suspect one or both of two things: (a.) a concerted
   >>NL>action (incited by ???) to pseudo-"secure" the servers; (b.)
   >>NL>panic reaction at their side, in line with the pertinent
   >>NL>Russian saying, "When they don't know what to do they do what
   >>NL>they know to do."
   >>I agree with you it *is* outrageous. But what should we do about
   >>it? Cheers
   >>jaygee
   >>"NT with NTR - DOS alive in Win95"
   >I took a look at my cookies.txt file in Netscape just to see what
   >would show for the last time (a couple of days ago) that I used it
   >to access CNN and CNNSI.  I didn't notice anything unusual compared
   >to other older entries either for CNN or any other site.  More use
   >of Javascript is a possibility.  Though I have Java (itself) turned
   >off in Netscape, I do have Javascript enabled because lots of sites
   >use it, unfortunately.

I decided to fire up Lynx386, which doesn't have any java or javascript 
or frames or whatever capability and is also a purely DOS program.  I 
got the main page at www.cnn.com just fine with Lynx386 and I was able 
to select stories from there and link to them without any trouble.  So, 
it appears that there isn't anything special being done at www.cnn.com 
to discourage hackers from accessing the news.  

Whatever is interfering with Net-Tamer at www.cnn.com is something else. 
My first thought is that it could be similar to what happened with the 
FEMA site last year when we couldn't access that with Net-Tamer.  
However, I checked that site (www.fema.gov) again with Net-Tamer and it 
simply calls the site but fails to get a response.  No error, just no 
action.  Lynx386 can't finish loading the main page.  Bobcat (XT 
version) does eventually (it takes a very long time for the last 1K to 
load) finish loading the main page.  So, nothing is changed with 
www.fema.gov, but that doesn't explain what is happening with 
www.cnn.com.  Perhaps Uncle Dave will figure out what is going on with 
CNN.

Ronald Dailey


-- 
RCD

Net-Tamer V 1.12 Beta - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to