Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 08:09:24 -700
From: Walter Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Preliminary Evaluation of Net-Tamer Version 1.12.0


David:

I am surprised -- although a comparison of the 3-27-2000 and 
6-12-2000 software certainly teaches me the validity of your 
statement that nothing has changed between the two. I guess my 
observations are partly due to incorrect perception and partly due to 
a lack of careful comparison between the two packages.

As for the matter of DJPEG.EXE: I've been using the version of that 
software dated 05-08-97 all along. I've had and been using a copy of 
this software ever since you distributed it some years ago in 
Net-Tamer version 1.09 or 1.10. (can't remember exactly which one) I 
have been able to view .JPG files in previous versions of Net-Tamer 
whereas I've not been able to view those same files in version 1.11.2 
or 1.12. I've previously assumed the problem had something to do 
with Net-Tamer itself in terms of whether the headers I quoted for 
you are or are not stripped from .JPG files. I now believe I've been 
wrongly assuming the change in versions of Net-Tamer brought on the 
problem rather than the coincidence of certain websites upgrading 
their servers at about the same time version 1.11.2 of Net-Tamer was 
released. Further complicating the matter is that I've been surfing 
some websites still using old server software/hardware. 
Unfortunately, I have NOT been carefully comparing performance when 
surfing those sites in different versions of Net-Tamer. From my less 
than thorough experience, the older versions of Net-Tamer seemed to 
work while the newer versions of Net-Tamer seemed not to work for me 
on OTHER websites.  In regard to those that worked for me in older 
versions of Net-Tamer, I refer to the USGS (United States Geological 
Survey) as an example. Try

http://wwwneic.cr.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/bulletin.html

and select a listed earthquake. This will take you to a page that 
contains 2 or 3 different maps. Those maps are .JPG files. If you 
look at them after they've been downloaded to your machine, you'll 
find there are no server headers in those files. Separate from 
Net-Tamer and when I attempt to run DJPEG.EXE as a standalone against 
a JPEG that has server headers in it such as I've quoted to you, 
DJPEG issues the following error message:

"Not a JPEG file: starts with 0x48 0x54"

No .GIF equivalent is produced.

If I carefully edit out header information with a binary editor and 
then run DJPEG.EXE against the same file, DJPEG.EXE properly 
decompresses the file to a .GIF equivalent.

Moving on to the problem of Net-Tamer not being able to parse certain 
websites -- CNN's in particular -- can you tell if this indeed has 
something to do with Net-Tamer not being able to navigate around HTML 
calls to javascript? Why would the XT/286 implementation of version 
1.10 and every implementation of version 1.08 be able to parse a CNN
webpage while no implementation of version 1.11.2 or 1.12 will 
successfully parse a CNN webpage? Thanks for any information you can 
provide.

                   Walter Scott

In Message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David 
Colston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> had the following to say on Wed, 14 
Jun 2000 03:54:36 +0400:

DC>Headers are one every file downloaded. It should display correctly, but I
DC>will check this. It might surprise you to know that there have been 0
DC>chenges in the program since the beta release. The most likely cause for
DC>the changes you saw are in the fact that the beta did not contain all the
DC>auxillary programs (DJPEG and others). I'll work on the web stuff for the
DC>next release.

<><> News & Views, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, are the Net <><>

NTReader v0.27a(O)/Beta (Registered) in conjunction with Net-Tamer.



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to