CJ Kelley wrote:

----- Original Message ----
From: rikona <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: newbie@mandrivalinux.org
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2006 10:46:42 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Too much ram consumption in mandriva 2007. is there a way to reduce that?

On Friday, December 29, 2006, 10:21:39 AM, CJ Kelley wrote:

CK> i havent tried mounting my ntfs hdd yet..ill get to that in a few
CK> minutes, but ill see if it will allow me to read/write to the hdd.

DON'T WRITE TO THE ntfs HD! It is NOT reliable in linux. If you
insist, make sure you have a complete backup of everything!

----cjs reply----
ok. just to clear something up, would it be safe to write to a FAT16/32 file system?
----end of reply----

yes fat is fine, just recognize fat does not have any file permissions beyond 'rash'
Read only, Archive, System, and Hidden
no files are owned by a user, and can be accessed by anyone permitted to access the partition. a lot of folks use a fat32 partition to store files between the OSs when having a dual boot install, but it's not a good idea to run linux from a fat file system...

--
reg. Linux User 167806
webhome http://ed-tharp.is-a-geek.org