On Saturday, January 6, 2007, 3:17:50 PM, Len Lawrence wrote:

LL> rikona wrote:
>> On Saturday, January 6, 2007, 1:54:15 PM, Len Lawrence wrote:
>>
>> LL> Apropos the recent installation of Mandriva PowerPack+ on AMD64
>> LL> Opteron, where can I find updatedb and slocate?
>> Whatpackprovides LL> returns no  package, so has it been dropped?
>> It has always been LL> such a useful tool and beagle is a pain in
>> the fundament.
>>
>> Check out recoll. It also indexes the contents of many types of
>> files.
>>

LL> I did install that at your earlier suggestion but it seemed a bit
LL> complicated compared with updatedb/slocate.

What do you find more complicated?

I use both recoll [GUI] and locate [CLI], under different
circumstances. Usually locate to just find a file name if I'm at the
cli, and recoll if I'm looking for something in the contents of files.
I would agree locate is simpler for just file names, if you have a
Konsole open. Are you more interested in file names rather than
contents?

--

 rikona                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Want to buy your Pack or Services from Mandriva?
Go to http://store.mandriva.com
Join the Club : http://www.mandrivaclub.com