there are already too many Davids on this list... ;)

if you check out that moonwatching vid I posted, you'll see that indeed the
bad was moving in the right "general" direction, and the only way I told it
from a bird was based on the cadence of the flight, plus when I viewed it on
the big screen you could make out the forward appearance of the wing, etc.

What David is talking about, though, can be seen in this really cool paper
by Sid Gauthreaux and John Livingston (http://tinyurl.com/m7q2t5), where
bats especially show more erratic flight on thermal imagery. But, when
moonwatching, given prevailing winds, bats which are not actively feeding
could (and probably do) move in the same direction as birds, and insects
definitely will move with the prevailing winds. Most of the separation,
then, falls on the observer, and as Mike pointed out, magnification may be
the key.

good moon watching

David
David A. La Puma, Ph.D.
Dept. of Ecology, Evolution, & Natural Resources

Online Teaching Portfolio:
http://www.woodcreeper.com/teaching

Lockwood lab:
http://rci.rutgers.edu/~jlockwoo